10 events you don’t want to miss at Word 2017
Word 2017 is back for its sixth consecutive year. Over the course of a month, the festival will explore the pleasure of reading, writing and freedom of expression, whilst celebrating the power that words have to transform people’s lives.
A packed programme of performances, workshops and events taking place in Islington from 1-30 June, in partnership with organisations from across the borough, will be entertaining and engaging with residents whilst amplifying the voices of people less often heard in today’s society.
We’ve put together a roundup of our top picks for 2017, with 10 exciting events you don’t want to miss this June:
1) Graffical: Rap artists Breakin’ Convention and Lyrix Organix will be running a free 2 day workshop for 13-18 year olds. They’ll lead lyric writing workshops, helping young people to write their own bars to inspire the community. The workshop will culminate in creating graffiti murals that will be displayed in Islington for Word2017!
2) Banners for Spain – Fighting the Spanish Civil War in London: This stunning exhibition depicting the Spanish Civil War is open at Islington Museum from Friday 5 May-Saturday 8 July. The library is also hosting banner making classes for under 5’s and adults.
3) Words of wisdom: On Saturday 10 June, women from across Islington come together to share an evening of poetry, stories and song, passing on pearls of wisdom from across the generations.
4) Granddads, Dads and Lads: Arsenal in the Community are inviting all Granddads, Dads and Lads to the Emirates Stadium for a behind the scenes tour and poetry workshop with Word2017’s poet-in-residence, Paul Lyalls.
5) Dancing Letters: Young dance enthusiasts have the opportunity to work with the Candoco Dance Company to create and practice dance routines inspired by words and letter-reading, to create a one-off dance show to be performed at the end of June.
6) Cubitt’s Summer Ball: The theme for this year’s summer ball is ‘Journeys’. Come along for a boogie, art exhibitions, workshops, tea and cake!
7) Topsy Turvy: Finsbury library will be transformed into a magical landscape for Topsy Turvy, an immersive performance for families and young children.
8) Spoken word, mental health and activism for SLAMbassadors @ WORD: Join a panel of performers and poets including Hussain Manawer and Cicilia Knapp for their discussion on spoken word, mental health and activism. The event will be chaired by Nazmia Jamal for The Poetry Society.
9) Why writing matters: Children’s novelist, poet and performer Michael Rosen will be speaking about the power of writing, marking the first ever National Writing Day.
10) Memory Lane Games: House of illustration have partnered with Universal Boardgame to design and create a new board game for the elderly. Elder participants are invited to join the design process and help put together the new game, which will be launched at the summer ball and distributed to Islington’s care homes.
Find out more about our top picks and all of the fantastic Word 2017 events on their website.
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019