Avoid a New Year debt hangover
The cost of Christmas can add up – presents, extra spending on food, on top of higher gas and electricity bills – can put finances under extra pressure come the New Year.
Here are some tips to help you start 2019 with your finances in order:
Set a budget and stick to it – this is the best way to manage debt but only one in four of us do it
Keep track of your spending – paying with bank or credit cards and using ‘contactless’ it is harder to keep track of your spending. Take a receipt and make a note of your purchases so you can see where your money has gone
Continue to pay your bills – like rent, council tax, gas and electricity because falling behind will make it harder to catch up and may mean additional charges
Cut costs in other areas – you could save on energy bills by switching energy providers
Get advice now – if you are struggling with debt act early, call the Islington Advice Alliance on 020 3475 5080 or visit www.islington.gov.uk/moneyadvice
Citizen’s Advice Islington is also available to offer debt advice. Call the team on 0203 745 8921, email email@example.com, or pop into 222 Upper Street, N1 1XR.
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019