Celebrate Car Free Day with a Play Street
Car Free Day is an internationally celebrated day that sees streets across the world given over to people, not vehicles. This Car Free Day (Sunday 22 September) Islington Council wants to encourage as many residents as possible to turn their street into a Play Street for the day.
Play Streets are roads that are closed to traffic so that children and families can play out in the street without worries about cars, safety or pollution. It’s all about fun, community and connections.
London Play Streets and London Car Free Day are hoping for 200 Play Streets across London on the day. And we want Islington to help them get there! That’s why we signed the Play Street Car Free Day pledge.
Would you like a Play Street on your road this Car Free Day?
If you want to take part this Car Free Day and hold a one off Play Street on your road, get in touch with us to find out more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to hear more about the process and how you can apply.
The deadline has been extended to allow more residents to apply.
The new deadline for applying is 4pm on 9 September. Please get in touch with Jo well before this date to make sure you have time to fill in forms and get organised.
You don’t need any fancy equipment or expensive toys. Just space, freedom and imagination. But if you want to provide some tea and cake, we’re sure it won’t go unappreciated!
Important things to note:
- You will need to speak to all your neighbours before you apply and enlist a few of them to help you supervise on the day.
- Children attending the Play Street should be under the supervision of a family member/carer at all times.
- The road will be closed to through-traffic however residents and Blue Badge holders are allowed access. Cars that need to enter or exit the road can be escorted slowly in/out of the road by one of your voluntary helpers, to avoid any accidents.
- Emergency vehicles must be allowed to enter. Do not set up anything that cannot be quickly and easily moved to provide access.
For more information about Car Free Day and the one-off Play Streets, please get in touch with our Pollution Team: email@example.com
Car Free Day on St John Street
We are holding a giant Play Street for everyone to come along to. Between 11am – 4pm on St John Street, they’ll be free games, activities, den building, bike fixing, cycle training, face painting, art workshops and so much more. Find out more and come along!
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019