Dolly Parton calls for Story Starter volunteers
National children’s charity, Beanstalk, is looking for volunteers from Islington for a new reading programme in nurseries and pre-schools. With the help of singer Dolly Parton, the charity is appealing for people to become ‘Story Starters’ and support young children gain the language and communication skills they need to start school ready to learn and achieve.
As a Story Starters volunteer you will lead reading sessions in nurseries across the borough for one hour, twice a week. The sessions will be fun, interactive and hugely beneficial for the children.
The programme launched recently with a film from Dolly and a story telling session from children’s author, Sophy Henn (pictured). It is run in partnership with Dolly’s Imagination Library and research collaboration, LuCiD.
Imagination Library will provide every Story Starter child with quality, age-appropriate books which will be sent to them directly, as well as to their nursery, ensuring that they can enjoy the magic of stories at home.
How does it work?
- As a Story Starter you will support three children aged 3-5 years’ on a one-to-one basis, using play and stories to develop and enrich their use of language.
- You’ll need to commit to volunteering at a local nursery for one hour, twice a week during nursery hours.
- You’ll receive professional training and support to ensure that you are best able to support young children and feel comfortable in a modern nursery setting.
Want to become a Story Starter?
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019