Islington gets smart benches
Five new hi-tech benches where you can access Wi-Fi and charge your phone are now available across Islington.
Islington is one of the first places in the country to install smart benches for public use. You can find them at Islington Green, Essex Road (two), Newington Green and Old Street.
It is part of a trial to enhance public spaces by providing mobile device charging ports and free Wi-Fi access, as well as a place to sit and socialise.
The solar powered benches are provided by Strawberry Energy UK and Cancer Research UK in time for World Cancer Day on Saturday 4 February. They are fitted with pollution sensors and contactless functionality. People are encouraged to donate £2 to the charity by tapping their contactless debit or credit card on the smart bench.
You can also find smart benches in Lewisham as part of this trial. It’s hoped that 100 benches will be installed across London by the end of the year.
- Improving Astey’s Row playground 10 December 2018
- New home for Christmas 10 December 2018
- Give the gift of giving this Christmas 3 December 2018
- Calling choir members to shower singers 30 November 2018
- Do you know an unsung hero? 26 November 2018
- Islington’s British Empire Medal winner 26 November 2018