Mayor welcomes pupils from leisure centre fire
Students from Laycock Primary School, who were caught up in the fire at Highbury Leisure Centre in September, had a special meeting with the Mayor of Islington at the Town Hall.
Aged seven to eight, the children in Year 3 were treated to a guided tour of the Council Chambers and the Mayor’s office by current Mayor, Cllr Dave Poyser, and previous Mayor, Cllr Una O’Halloran.
The children were swimming in the pool when the incident occurred – fortunately, none of the children were harmed in the blaze. The leisure centre is currently being rebuilt.
Between taking it in turns to bang the gavel, asking a series of excited and intelligent questions, and posing for photographs with both Mayors, the children learnt a lot about local history and governance, as well as the similarities between their own school council and Islington’s. The Mayor even asked the most divisive question the Council Chambers has heard this year; “Tottenham or Arsenal?” The Arsenal won it (by a small margin).
Here’s hoping the children were inspired by their visit and will be standing for Islington Youth Council in a few years!
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019