Islington’s first Word Garden
Islington has a new inspiring, restful place in the centre of the city – Islington’s first Word Garden.
The tranquil oasis in Kings Square Gardens was launched on Wednesday, 6 June as part of the Word2018 Festival, which celebrates the power of words and reading.
Designed by local older people at St Luke’s Centre, working with All Change, the Word Garden is inspired by memories and stories of the park and local area.
It features special benches customised with poetry, a new games table and a new planting scheme. The new planting will add colour and fragrances, designed to enable people who have sensory impairments to enjoy spending time in the space.
The garden is designed to look beautiful in all seasons, and to be a place for everyone in the community to enjoy and spend time together. The garden will be looked after by the council’s parks service and local community working together.
Next time you’re in that part of Islington, go check it out!
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019