Islington’s first Word Garden
Islington has a new inspiring, restful place in the centre of the city – Islington’s first Word Garden.
The tranquil oasis in Kings Square Gardens was launched on Wednesday, 6 June as part of the Word2018 Festival, which celebrates the power of words and reading.
Designed by local older people at St Luke’s Centre, working with All Change, the Word Garden is inspired by memories and stories of the park and local area.
It features special benches customised with poetry, a new games table and a new planting scheme. The new planting will add colour and fragrances, designed to enable people who have sensory impairments to enjoy spending time in the space.
The garden is designed to look beautiful in all seasons, and to be a place for everyone in the community to enjoy and spend time together. The garden will be looked after by the council’s parks service and local community working together.
Next time you’re in that part of Islington, go check it out!
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019