Islington’s little oasis
A car parking space in Central Street has been transformed into Islington’s first parklet – a little oasis in the heart of the city.
With shrubs, a tree, seating and bike stand, the parklet adds greenery to the street and offers a place for residents, workers, cyclists and visitors to rest.
The parklet will initially be in place for a year, and is the first of five to be set up in Islington this June – parklets will follow in Banner Street, Baldwin Street, Bickerton Road and Waterlow Road.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “We’re working hard to encourage walking and cycling in Islington, and to change streets so they work better for pedestrians and cyclists.
“This parklet offers a little oasis in the city – some shrubs and a tree to make the street more pleasant and greener – and somewhere where people can sit for a moment, or park their bike whilst resting.
“This is the first of five parklets for Islington, which will help to encourage walking and cycling instead of driving, and help to improve air quality. We look forward to bringing more parklets to Islington later this summer.”
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019