Keeping well with community spirit
It is important to stay healthy all year round. But, when the weather is very cold people are more susceptible to becoming ill. This is especially true for people over 65 years of age, people with a long-term condition, like diabetes or heart disease, and people with a disability.
If you live near older family members or neighbours, please check in on them to make sure they are coping with the cold weather.
You can suggest these top tips to help them stay well:
Don’t wait – if they feel like they are coming down with something don’t wait for it to get worse – speak to a pharmacist before it gets serious, or call NHS 111 to talk to advisors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Plan ahead – make sure they have enough medication to last through any bad weather when getting to surgeries and pharmacies is much harder or not possible.
Get the flu jab – if they are over 65, they should have the flu vaccine. It is not live; they cannot get the flu by having it. Contact their GP practice to book.
Keep warm – it is important to keep warm and heat their home to at least 18C in winter.
For more information on how to keep warm, active, connected and healthy this winter? North London Cares provides home visits in Islington to support residents to keep well in the winter months. Visit www.northlondoncares.org.uk
- Reasons to shop local 🛍️ 22 October 2020
- Shop local in Holloway 🛍️ 22 October 2020
- Islington GP practices vaccinate thousands of residents to protect them from the flu 20 October 2020
- Your community, your neighbours, #YouRIslington 19 October 2020
- How Kelly found new work in the care sector 15 October 2020
- Shop Local in Finsbury Park 14 October 2020