Reduce your risk of diabetes
To mark Diabetes Prevention Week, from 1-7 April, we highlight some of the support that is available in Islington.
One in 13 adults in Islington has type 2 diabetes, while the same number are at high risk of developing of the condition. This is a serious condition where the body is not able to regulate blood sugar levels and can lead to heart, eyes, feet and kidney damage.
The good news is that making small changes now can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Jean*, who lives in Islington, was told by her GP that she was at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes and was referred to the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme. After completing the nine-month programme, Jean was able to reduce her blood glucose levels out of the ‘pre-diabetic’ range.
Jean said: “The nutrition sessions were most enjoyable for me. They were really effective in helping me change everyday habits, and I’m going to maintain the changes that I made in controlling portion size and maintaining at least 10,000 steps per day.”
You can find lots of advice at the OneYou Islington website
*Names have been changed to preserve anonymity.
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019