Start a conversation about internet safety
Safer Internet Day is a good opportunity to have a conversation with your child about using the internet safely, responsibly and positively.
This year, the UK Safer Internet Centre is focusing on the role of images and videos in young people’s lives and has provided some conversation starters for parents to use to talk about these issues with children.
Use some of these suggestions below to have a positive conversation with your child.
1. Ask them about what they like most about the internet and why, such as their favourite app, game or website.
2. Ask if they like sharing images and videos online and why. You could talk about your favourite family photos.
3. Share your favourite emoji and ask your child what emoji they like best and why. You could discuss whether emojis make it easier to communicate what you mean.
4. Ask your child whether they have seen people in their school posting images to be mean or embarrass someone. What would they do if they saw this? Who could they turn to for help?
5. You could ask whether they think young people are sometimes embarrassed about the photos their parents/carers post of them. You could talk about what you could do to make sure they are happy with images of them online.
6. Ask your child how they can tell if an image or video is truthful. For example, they might have seen images edited to make people look better, or videos that are fake. Can we always tell?
7. Discuss how we can all ‘be the change’ and help make the internet a better place.
8. Ask your child if they know where to go for help, where to find safety advice and privacy settings, and how to report or block on the services they use.
9. Encourage your child to do good digital deeds to help others. Perhaps they can show you how to do something better online or they might have a friend that would benefit from their help and support.
For more information and advice visit www.saferinternet.org.uk.
- Improving Astey’s Row playground 10 December 2018
- New home for Christmas 10 December 2018
- Give the gift of giving this Christmas 3 December 2018
- Calling choir members to shower singers 30 November 2018
- Do you know an unsung hero? 26 November 2018
- Islington’s British Empire Medal winner 26 November 2018