Stay fire safe this Christmas
The festive season is well and truly underway and its nice to snuggle up at home for a cosy night by candlelight. Candles are by far one of the biggest fire risks at Christmas, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use them. Follow these tips from London Fire Brigade on how to keep your home safe:
1. Put candles, incense and oil burners out when you leave the room and especially before bed.
2. Keep candles in heat-resistant holders on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over. Tea lights can get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
3. Keep them away from materials that might catch fire –like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair – and out of reach of children and pets.
4. Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like Christmas decorations, collections of books, magazines or papers.
5. LED candles can be a great alternative – they’re safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out!
6. If you are finding bills hard to pay, please don’t use candles for heat, or BBQs indoors, or on balconies to cook or keep warm. If you are a council tenant and are having trouble paying your bills contact Islington.gov.uk/moneyadvice
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019