We love our markets: Peter Holmes
We love Islington’s markets. They are hubs of our communities and a great place to meet people and shop. During Love Your Local Market, from 17-23 May, we highlight some of our fabulous street traders. Meet Peter…
Peter and his pie stall, HolmesBake, has been a regular fixture of Whitecross Street for 10 years.
Originally from Wakefield in Yorkshire, he started working in markets on a weekend for a friend’s dad doing hog roasts. Now he serves up delicious pies and veggies cooked fresh on the stall in the market.
The stall has two huge cookers and setting up is a big job, but Peter and his team have got it down to 40 minutes, on a good day.
“It can be a battle of the elements – snow, rain, wind,” he says. “Wind is the worst in a tent. But no pies have ever blown away,” he jokes.
“Whitecross Street is a good community with other traders and residents,” he says. “I get a lot of trade from the offices and workers and have just gone plastic free, which I feel better about. Everything is paper now.”
Read our other interviews with market traders:
Love Your Local Market 2019 is taking place from 17-23 May with the theme ‘markets close to your heart’. Find out more
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019