Youngest reading champ
Three year-old Alannah is proof that you are never too young to get into reading. She was the youngest of 325 children who completed the Winter Reading Challenge set up by Islington libraries.
Youngsters had to read six books over the winter as part of the challenge. Alannah recently collected her certificate at a special event along with other children who completed at the Archway Library.
Alannah’s parents believe the Challenge has increased her enjoyment of reading and had other benefits. Her mum said: “Her vocab has expanded. She’s picked up lots of long words and it has also helped her memory.”
And what would be their advice for other parents who may think reading should wait until their child starts school? “No! Books are for children of all ages.”
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019