Get silly with the Summer Reading Challenge
This year’s Summer Reading Challenge is back and it’s all about funny books, happiness and having a laugh. The Challenge aims to make sure children aged 4-11 keep up the reading habit over the summer and discover new authors and types of books to read.
This year, due to COVID-19, the Summer Reading Challenge is coming to children in a different way. Rather than featuring the usual face-to-face conversations with library staff about what they’ve read, it will be mostly online, with emphasis on getting children into reading and taking part in reading-related activities.
After joining using the safe sign-up process, there’s a personal profile area where children can set reading goals, review books, view book recommendations and access guides to e-books. There’s a forum to chat to friends, play games, download and print activities, as well as family activities with rewards and unlockable content to keep children and families engaged throughout the summer months. See the reading list here.
The platform is FREE for children and families to use. It’s also a great chance for children to enjoy some of the e-books and e-audio books available for loan at Islington Libraries. Take a look at this web page for what is available.
Children can collect a special Silly Squad collector’s poster and stickers from their local school or from a “click and collect” library.
The Summer Reading Challenge runs from June to September, launching on Friday 5 June with a virtual Let’s Get Silly programme running from the Summer Reading Challenge’s Facebook page.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Eclectic Voices: A Unique Choral Experience
- Islington women’s football
- Get your free blood pressure check
- Fitness classes for women
- Celebrating 200 years of The Regent’s Canal
- Islington Expert Patients Programme
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Get silly with the Summer Reading Challenge
- Walk the Line
- The Angel Canal Festival