Car Free Day in Islington
Join the Car Free Day celebrations on Sunday 22 September between 11am and 4pm in St John Street.
World Car Free Day allows people of all ages and backgrounds to reimagine their city free from cars and reclaim their streets while walking, cycling and exploring the place they live.
This year’s Car Free Day at St John Street will be our biggest celebrations ever as we create our largest ever car free space for the day. We’re committed to making walking and cycling safer, easier and more pleasant, with improved air quality and reduced traffic.
A section of St John Street between Clerkenwell Road and Charterhouse Street will be shut to through traffic and is open for the whole borough to enjoy vehicle free.
The fun starts at 11am and will go on till 4pm.
Come along and enjoy a range of free, fun activities such as:
- Pottery with Clay Time
- Little Angel Theatre
- Face painting
- Mini tennis and badminton
- Den building with Toffee Park Adventure Playground
- Collaborative art project with Living Space Art School
- Trampolining with BOUNCE
- Hilldrop Ukulele Band at 12pm
- Story telling at 2pm
- London Living Streets Parklet
- Guided walks at 12.15 and 2pm (more details below)
- Trial a JUMP electric bike
- Dr Bike
- Pedal Power, the cycling club for all ages with disabilities 11am – 1pm
- Children’s cycling obstacle course. Bikes available to borrow 1pm – 4pm
- Children’s cycle training (ages 5 and up) – book your free place online here
Not to mention the free play area and the picnic space for everyone to enjoy!
There will be two walks on the day, both starting at the London Living Streets parklet. No need to sign up, just turn up on the day.
12.15pm The London Living Streets Clean Air Walking route will lead a walk along part of the proposed Central London Walking Network – characterful, historic streets which link together key destinations and will provide clean air walking routes. The walk will end at Bank Junction. There will be a special opportunity to visit the ancient church of Bartholomew the Great in Smithfield.
2pm The Islington Guided Walk takes a stroll through the hidden back streets of Clerkenwell, meeting some of the remarkable characters who contributed to the area’s 1000 year history. Find out what links Henry VIII, a musical coalman, a notorious escapologist, and Karl Marx to London’s earliest suburb. The walk ends back at St John Street.
Guides bike rides
11am Setting off from Navigator Square in Archway, this guided bike ride led by Cycle Confident takes in the new parklets in the north of the borough and ends at St John Street.
12.30pm The second guided ride starts and ends at the event on St John Street and explores the parklets in the south of Islington.
Each ride will be approximately 5 miles long on mainly quiet roads. Led by experienced cycle instructors and ride leaders, riders will feel fully supported on these rides to explore their local area. Don’t have a bike? Santander bikes are free for the day and we have JUMP, Free Bikes and Lime Bikes on St John Street for you to try.
Book onto the rides for free here.
Please note, no food or drink will be on sale at the event but there are plenty of local cafes and shops. You are very welcome to bring your own food and drink to enjoy on our picnic area.
Local cafes and pubs have also kindly allowed attendees to use their toilets.
There is a public toilet at the bottom of St John Street that is also available.
No smoking or vaping is allowed along the street for this event.
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Healthy Generations classes
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Saturday Stitching Surgery
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- DIY for tenants
- Flag football for girls
- Saturday Night Project
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Dads and Kids Cook and Eat Sundays
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Coffee and computers
- Join us on a Tree Walk!
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Islington Museum and Cally Clock Tower events
- Happening in Archway!
- Ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay: Music Hall in Islington
- Car Free Day in Islington
- Adult and Community Learning courses
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Eclectic Voices: A Unique Choral Experience
- Black History Month
- Celebrate National Poetry Day
- Islington women’s football
- Local London Guiding Day