Canonbury Tower tours
The first building on the site was erected by Prior Bolton of St Bartholomew’s Priory as a summer retreat from the sights and smells of Smithfield and was later owned by Thomas Cromwell of “Wolf Hall” fame. Most of the building you see during the tour was built in the 1570s, when it was owned by the very wealthy Lord Mayor of London, Sir John Spencer.
The tour by Clerkenwell & Islington Guides’ Association (CIGA) offers a rare opportunity to see inside a Tudor dwelling complete with wonderful oak panelling and to hear fascinating stories about the inhabitants of the Tower through the centuries – including a dramatic elopement in a bread basket and the playwright and novelist Oliver Goldsmith’s battle with his landlady.
Tours last about 90 minutes and the climb to the top of the tower is rewarded with a stunning 360 degree view over London.
Friday 8 September, 2pm
Wednesday 27 September, 10am
Friday 13 October, 2pm
Wednesday 25 October, 10am
Friday 8 December, 2pm
Friday 9 February 2018, 2pm
Wednesday 28 February 2018, 10am
Canonbury Tower, Canonbury Place, N1 2NQ (opposite the junction with Compton Road).
Nearest Tube Station: Highbury & Islington. Also close to Essex Road and Canonbury stations.
Access to the tower is strictly limited so book early to avoid disappointment
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Tennis in Islington
- Healthy Generations classes
- FoodCycle open new Finsbury Park Hub
- Islington Walking Tours
- Apple Day at Islington Ecology Centre
- Up Against It: Islington 1967
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- The Secret Life of John Wesley
- Families for Life
- The Cally Clocktower project
- Events at the British Library
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Cheese Street N1
- A Festival of Sex, Love and Death
- Bringing science to Islington
- Me & My Bee
- Community Open Evening
- Community bulb planting
- London Horror Festival 2017
- Archway Park official re-opening
- Breathe launch event
- Oxjam Islington returns!