Winning the Vote – Islington Women
Islington was a key battlefield for the campaign for women to win the vote, as it contained Holloway Prison, where over 200 suffragettes were imprisoned. This walk introduces you to some of its inmates, and the attempt to blow up the prison. On the way, you will also stop at a poignant war memorial, visit a library which was staffed by volunteer nurses, and look at where the first birth control clinic open to women began.
This free walk has been funded as part of the Heritage Lottery Funded, Echoes of Holloway Prison Project exploring the story of Holloway Prison. The exhibition Echoes of Holloway Prison is at Islington Museum 245 St John Street EC1V 4NB, from 13 July to 8 October 2018.
Saturday 28 July 2018 at 11am
Thursday 23 August 2018 at 6.30pm
Tuesday 18 September 2018 at 2pm
Starts at Cat and Mouse Library, 277 Camden Road, N7 0QW
Nearest tubes: Holloway Road/Tufnell Park
Ends near Upper Holloway Overground Station, N19 4DJ
Nearest tube: Archway
Duration: 90 minutes
Cost: FREE but booking essential.
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Cookery school classes
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Healthy Generations classes
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Saturday Stitching Surgery
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- DIY for tenants
- Flag football for girls
- Saturday Night Project
- Want to play netball?
- It’s happening in Archway!
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Music video production course
- B Creative – Summer School
- Echoes of Holloway Prison
- Winning the Vote – Islington Women
- Summer dance intensive
- Artistry Youth Dance showcase