A new home for The Big House
Islington charity The Big House is building a new home for its pioneering creative projects with young people.
Work began in September 2018 to renovate an old frame factory in Englefield Road, just off Essex Road, and create a new youth theatre and community space.
The Big House has a simple mission: to enable care leavers and at risk young people to fulfil their potential. Using drama, combined with life skills workshops, counselling, peer to peer support and long term mentoring, the charity build the confidence of young people to such an extent that anything is possible.
Maggie Norris, Artistic Director and CEO of The Big House says: “The young people we work with want to pursue larger lives, fuelled by an expanding sense of possibility and purpose. Our new home will give us the space to explore those possibilities reaching hundreds more young people every year.”
The charity is also hoping to raise £20,000 to pay for a new kitchen and to run projects that bring its members together to cook, meet new people and benefit from the connection and comfort of sharing food with family and friends. Find out more and donate here.
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020