A new home for The Big House
Islington charity The Big House is building a new home for its pioneering creative projects with young people.
Work began in September 2018 to renovate an old frame factory in Englefield Road, just off Essex Road, and create a new youth theatre and community space.
The Big House has a simple mission: to enable care leavers and at risk young people to fulfil their potential. Using drama, combined with life skills workshops, counselling, peer to peer support and long term mentoring, the charity build the confidence of young people to such an extent that anything is possible.
Maggie Norris, Artistic Director and CEO of The Big House says: “The young people we work with want to pursue larger lives, fuelled by an expanding sense of possibility and purpose. Our new home will give us the space to explore those possibilities reaching hundreds more young people every year.”
The charity is also hoping to raise £20,000 to pay for a new kitchen and to run projects that bring its members together to cook, meet new people and benefit from the connection and comfort of sharing food with family and friends. Find out more and donate here.
- A Windrush story: Neville and Daphne 20 June 2020
- Islington Giving – if you can, please support this crisis fund for local people 17 June 2020
- Windrush Day 2020 17 June 2020
- Blooming brilliant competition returns online 15 June 2020
- Biography of a carer: Barney 12 June 2020
- Make your own face covering 10 June 2020