Brighten your street
A beautifully planted tree pit can be an amazing sight, but it’s important to ensure you are keeping the tree healthy too. If you’d like to voluntarily plant and/or maintain a tree pit to brighten up your street, you can find out more here. We’ve also collected some top tips from expert gardeners in the borough on how you can help.
Avoid planting climbers and woody perennials that will compete with the tree for water and nutrients.
Don’t raise the soil level around the tree stem as this could potentially damage the health of the tree, and if you decide to put an edge around the pit, please use ‘soft materials’ like wood, rather than slate or metal with sharp edges.
When you water the plants, don’t forget to give the tree a drink too! Trees get very thirsty so pour water down the black watering tube for best results.
Lastly, remember to keep yourself safe when working on the Highway – wear a high vis vest, work in pairs and never walk in the road!
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019
- What our new home means to us 16 July 2019