Celebrate Car Free Day with a Play Street
Car Free Day is an internationally celebrated day that sees streets across the world given over to people, not vehicles. This Car Free Day (Sunday 22 September) Islington Council wants to encourage as many residents as possible to turn their street into a Play Street for the day.
Play Streets are roads that are closed to traffic so that children and families can play out in the street without worries about cars, safety or pollution. It’s all about fun, community and connections.
London Play Streets and London Car Free Day are hoping for 200 Play Streets across London on the day. And we want Islington to help them get there! That’s why we signed the Play Street Car Free Day pledge.
Would you like a Play Street on your road this Car Free Day?
To apply for a Play Street where you live, simply fill out the form for a Street Party. All the information, and the form, can be found here.
This will allow you to hold a one-off Play Street. If it is a success, you can consider applying for permanent, repeated Play Streets. Please do not apply for this for Car Free Day as this is a longer process that may not be completed in time for Car Free Day.
You don’t need any fancy equipment or expensive toys. Just space, freedom and imagination. But if you want to provide some tea and cake, we’re sure it won’t go unappreciated!
Important things to note:
- You must apply for your Play Street at least six weeks in advance. The last date to apply for Car Free Day is Friday 9 August.
- You will need to speak to all your neighbours before you apply and enlist a few of them to help you supervise on the day.
- Children attending the Play Street should be under the supervision of a family member/carer at all times.
- The road will be closed to through-traffic however residents and Blue Badge holders are allowed access. Cars that need to enter or exit the road can be escorted slowly in/out of the road by one of your voluntary helpers, to avoid any accidents.
- Emergency vehicles must be allowed to enter. Do not set up anything that cannot be quickly and easily moved to provide access.
For more information about Car Free Day and the one-off Play Streets, please get in touch with our Pollution Team: email@example.com