Five reasons to get the flu vaccination
Winter is on its way, and that can mean the spread of flu. Flu can be a nasty illness for small children. Children who get flu have the same symptoms as adults – including fever, chills, aching muscles, headache, stuffy nose, dry cough and sore throat. Some children develop a very high fever or complications, such as bronchitis or pneumonia and may need hospital treatment. Children also tend to be super-spreaders of flu, so if they get it, they may infect you or more vulnerable older family members.
The flu vaccine will help protect your child from flu and also reduce the chance of it spreading on to others.
Five reasons to vaccinate
1. Protect your child. The vaccine will help protect your child against flu and serious complications such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
2. Protect you, your family and friends. Vaccinating your child will help protect more vulnerable family and friends.
3. No injection needed. The nasal spray is painless and easy to have.
4. It’s better than having flu. The nasal spray helps protect against flu, has been given to millions of children worldwide and has an excellent safety record.
5. Avoid costs. If your child gets flu, you may have to take time off work or arrange alternative childcare.
Contact your GP if your child is aged two or three years old and you haven’t heard from their GP by early November. If your child is at primary school and in reception or years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, the school will send you a consent form. Please sign and return it. If your child has a health condition that puts them at greater risk from flu, they are also eligible for the flu vaccine.
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020