Getting the right chemical reaction
Carters Chemist in Roman Way is one of the first local businesses to receive an Energising Small Business Grant from Islington Council to improve its environmental performance and reduce operating costs.
The chemist used the £1,500 grant to replace its fluorescent tube lighting fittings with new LED light panels, which covered 98% of the cost of the works (excluding VAT). This should reduce its lighting bill by about 56% or £658 a year, as well as saving two tonnes of CO2 each year going forward.
The Energising Small Business grant scheme offers small businesses and organisations in Islington grants of up to £1,500 for works that will improve energy efficiency, such as LED lighting or a new boiler.
The scheme has already helped several organisations in the borough to reduce their energy consumption, with some reducing their lighting costs by over 50% and achieving savings as high as £1,000 a year.
Chetan of Carters Chemist said: “The application process was quick and easy and the turnaround time to receive the grant was very fast. The council representative was very supportive and I received the grant quicker than quoted. The energy grant has had a positive influence to my business and I highly recommend it.”
The grant scheme is open to any business or organisation located in Islington with fewer than 50 staff and a turnover of less than £10m. The funding will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply soon if you are interested.
- Islington GP practices vaccinate thousands of residents to protect them from the flu 20 October 2020
- Your community, your neighbours, #YouRIslington 19 October 2020
- How Kelly found new work in the care sector 15 October 2020
- Shop Local in Finsbury Park 14 October 2020
- Shop Local in Angel and Upper Street 14 October 2020
- Shop Local in Nag’s Head and Holloway 14 October 2020