Islington’s first Word Garden
Islington has a new inspiring, restful place in the centre of the city – Islington’s first Word Garden.
The tranquil oasis in Kings Square Gardens was launched on Wednesday, 6 June as part of the Word2018 Festival, which celebrates the power of words and reading.
Designed by local older people at St Luke’s Centre, working with All Change, the Word Garden is inspired by memories and stories of the park and local area.
It features special benches customised with poetry, a new games table and a new planting scheme. The new planting will add colour and fragrances, designed to enable people who have sensory impairments to enjoy spending time in the space.
The garden is designed to look beautiful in all seasons, and to be a place for everyone in the community to enjoy and spend time together. The garden will be looked after by the council’s parks service and local community working together.
Next time you’re in that part of Islington, go check it out!
- Islington GP practices vaccinate thousands of residents to protect them from the flu 20 October 2020
- Your community, your neighbours, #YouRIslington 19 October 2020
- How Kelly found new work in the care sector 15 October 2020
- Shop Local in Finsbury Park 14 October 2020
- Shop Local in Angel and Upper Street 14 October 2020
- Shop Local in Nag’s Head and Holloway 14 October 2020