Islington’s little oasis
A car parking space in Central Street has been transformed into Islington’s first parklet – a little oasis in the heart of the city.
With shrubs, a tree, seating and bike stand, the parklet adds greenery to the street and offers a place for residents, workers, cyclists and visitors to rest.
The parklet will initially be in place for a year, and is the first of five to be set up in Islington this June – parklets will follow in Banner Street, Baldwin Street, Bickerton Road and Waterlow Road.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “We’re working hard to encourage walking and cycling in Islington, and to change streets so they work better for pedestrians and cyclists.
“This parklet offers a little oasis in the city – some shrubs and a tree to make the street more pleasant and greener – and somewhere where people can sit for a moment, or park their bike whilst resting.
“This is the first of five parklets for Islington, which will help to encourage walking and cycling instead of driving, and help to improve air quality. We look forward to bringing more parklets to Islington later this summer.”
- Award for Market Road manager 14 January 2020
- Get ready for a new you in 2020 30 December 2019
- Make a difference to someone sleeping rough 20 December 2019
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019