Join our VE Day 75 celebrations
The 75th anniversary of VE-Day (Victory in Europe), marking the end of the Second World War in Europe, is being commemorated on Friday 8 May. There are several ways you can celebrate this momentous occasion and honour the men and women of WW2.
Go online to discover what life was like back in Islington during WW2 in Islington Museum’s captivating photo exhibition.
You can also create your own special VE Day 75 ‘Great British Bunting’ to display in your window at home, or bake Prue Leith’s tasty flapjack recipe.
If you have children, there are some free colouring posters they can complete and put up in your window. Download from this website.
Finally, don’t forget to join in national commemorations taking place on VE Day:
- A two-minute silence of remembrance at 11am
- The ‘Nations’ Toast to the Heroes of World War 2’ at 3pm – A chance to stand at home and raise a glass of refreshment of your choice to toast – “Those who gave so much, we thank you”
- The Royal Albert Hall’s special concert ‘We’ll Meet Again for VE Day 75 with Katherine Jenkins’, being held behind closed doors. Set a reminder to watch live on the Royal Albert Hall’s website
- A pre-recorded televised address from Her Majesty The Queen at 9pm
- There are also two special programmes on BBC One
- Join your neighbours on your doorstep to take part in the national singalong of Dame Vera Lynn’s ‘We’ll Meet Again’ at 9pm
Share photos of you and your family celebrating our national heroes, from the safety of your own home, with us @IslingtonLife #VEDay75.
- No Smoking Day 2021 3 March 2021
- Step Up to Social Work and make a difference to people’s lives. 16 February 2021
- New Highbury Pool set to make a splash 15 February 2021
- LGBT+ local history 14 February 2021
- Celebrating Islington apprentices in National Apprenticeship Week 9 February 2021
- Shereen’s apprenticeship story 8 February 2021