Recycling on the go
Islington Council has just installed more than 300 new ‘Recycling on the Go’ and litter bins along the A1 and other main roads within the borough.
These bespoke and innovative split bins are unique to Islington. Chris Demetriou, Islington’s Operations Manager, approached a number of bin suppliers to see if they could turn his idea of having transparent panels on each of the recycling sides of the bin into a reality. Wybone who produce litter bins as well other street furniture agreed to manufacture this bin and, after a couple of prototypes, the new bin was finally ready and have now arrived on the streets of Islington.
We hope Islington’s new bin will lead to more people thinking twice before placing non-recyclable waste items such as food, chewing gum or cigarette ends, into the transparent side of the bin.
Chris Demetriou said: “I was really pleased that Wybone were able to manufacture this bin on our behalf and I am confident this simple but innovative bin design with the see-through panels will lead to a change in behaviour from bin users with a reduction of contamination, whilst also increasing recycling rates within the borough.”
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019
- What our new home means to us 16 July 2019