Reduce your risk of diabetes
To mark Diabetes Prevention Week, from 1-7 April, we highlight some of the support that is available in Islington.
One in 13 adults in Islington has type 2 diabetes, while the same number are at high risk of developing of the condition. This is a serious condition where the body is not able to regulate blood sugar levels and can lead to heart, eyes, feet and kidney damage.
The good news is that making small changes now can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Jean*, who lives in Islington, was told by her GP that she was at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes and was referred to the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme. After completing the nine-month programme, Jean was able to reduce her blood glucose levels out of the ‘pre-diabetic’ range.
Jean said: “The nutrition sessions were most enjoyable for me. They were really effective in helping me change everyday habits, and I’m going to maintain the changes that I made in controlling portion size and maintaining at least 10,000 steps per day.”
You can find lots of advice at the OneYou Islington website
*Names have been changed to preserve anonymity.
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020
- Help stop coronavirus – become a Covid-19 Health Champion 2 December 2020