Supporting our vibrant markets
With Love Your Local Market 2019 well underway, we talk to Parris Langridge, the council’s Markets Development Officer, about his job and how markets have been part of his family for generations.
“Markets are an incredibly important part of Islington life and our vision is to support vibrant street markets. My role is to develop the markets, ensuring they are accessible to all residents. They are an important bedrock of a fair, inclusive and thriving economy.”
Parris has worked in markets for many years. He comes from a family of tradespeople with roots in the East End.
He says: “My great-great grandpa Jack was a fishmonger on Roman Road market. Rather than using a horse to take stock to the market, he had a goat drawn cart. They were apparently quite common amongst people who couldn’t afford to keep a horse, but the goats were very temperamental!”
Read our interviews with street traders here:
Read our other trader interviews:
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020