Supporting our vibrant markets
With Love Your Local Market 2019 well underway, we talk to Parris Langridge, the council’s Markets Development Officer, about his job and how markets have been part of his family for generations.
“Markets are an incredibly important part of Islington life and our vision is to support vibrant street markets. My role is to develop the markets, ensuring they are accessible to all residents. They are an important bedrock of a fair, inclusive and thriving economy.”
Parris has worked in markets for many years. He comes from a family of tradespeople with roots in the East End.
He says: “My great-great grandpa Jack was a fishmonger on Roman Road market. Rather than using a horse to take stock to the market, he had a goat drawn cart. They were apparently quite common amongst people who couldn’t afford to keep a horse, but the goats were very temperamental!”
Read our interviews with street traders here:
Read our other trader interviews:
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019
- What our new home means to us 16 July 2019