We love our markets: Wendy Watts
Islington’s markets are hubs of our communities and a great place to meet people and shop. During Love Your Local Market, from 17-23 May, we highlight some of our fabulous street traders. Meet Wendy…
Wendy has been a regular in Chapel Market for 35 years. She started her stall with just £300 and a table of clutch bags and now sells every kind of bag and item of luggage imaginable.
“I got into bags because I had friends that had bag factories so I would go in the evening and help make bags, and that’s how it started,” she says.
“My daughter was young at the time and I wanted a job that was flexible. I’ve fitted this job around my life and I prefer this kind of work. I love the summer.
“I love the people in Chapel Market and it’s nice, you’re free. If you wake up in the morning and it’s pouring down, you don’t have to come. You are your own boss.
“My family are all in business, it’s something that my grandparents did. Everybody’s always been a trader. It’s just in my blood.”
Read our interviews with other Islington traders:
Peter, HolmesBake, Whitecross Street
Jo, card stall, Chapel Market
Will, jerk chicken stall, Whitecross Street
Sandra, women’s fashions, Chapel Market
Manisha, Indian street food stall, Whitecross Street
Kalpesh, mobile and PC items, Chapel Market
Love Your Local Market 2019 is taking place from 17-23 May with the theme ‘markets close to your heart’.
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020