Winter Reading Challenge champs
It was congratulations all round to the 482 Islington children who successfully completed the Winter Reading Challenge 2018/19.
Ten celebrations were held at libraries across the borough to mark the achievement and give successful readers their certificate and the chance to win one of 50 book tokens.
Alba, aged 8 (pictured) said: “I liked this challenge because it gave me a chance to read every day the books I loved. It was entertaining and exciting.”
She was one of 36 children who completed the challenge at the Cat and Mouse library.
Ivy aged 5, who also completed the challenge, said: “I really enjoyed reading and it’s helped me sound out tricky words I don’t know.”
The Winter Reading Challenge started in December 2017 after a request from parents.
It’s an encouragement for children aged 4-11 to read six challenging books between December and February and is getting more popular, with 482 children taking part this year compared to 325 in 2017/18.
- Islington in Bloom 2019 3 September 2019
- Celebrating our wonderful borough! 31 July 2019
- Young Islington cyclist runner up in the prestigious Bikeability Trainee of the Year Award 30 July 2019
- Go Islington 2019 photos 29 July 2019
- Your local parkrun 24 July 2019
- Put your food bill on ice 16 July 2019