Winter Reading Challenge champs
It was congratulations all round to the 482 Islington children who successfully completed the Winter Reading Challenge 2018/19.
Ten celebrations were held at libraries across the borough to mark the achievement and give successful readers their certificate and the chance to win one of 50 book tokens.
Alba, aged 8 (pictured) said: “I liked this challenge because it gave me a chance to read every day the books I loved. It was entertaining and exciting.”
She was one of 36 children who completed the challenge at the Cat and Mouse library.
Ivy aged 5, who also completed the challenge, said: “I really enjoyed reading and it’s helped me sound out tricky words I don’t know.”
The Winter Reading Challenge started in December 2017 after a request from parents.
It’s an encouragement for children aged 4-11 to read six challenging books between December and February and is getting more popular, with 482 children taking part this year compared to 325 in 2017/18.
- Shop Local in Archway 22 January 2021
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020