Youngest reading champ
Three year-old Alannah is proof that you are never too young to get into reading. She was the youngest of 325 children who completed the Winter Reading Challenge set up by Islington libraries.
Youngsters had to read six books over the winter as part of the challenge. Alannah recently collected her certificate at a special event along with other children who completed at the Archway Library.
Alannah’s parents believe the Challenge has increased her enjoyment of reading and had other benefits. Her mum said: “Her vocab has expanded. She’s picked up lots of long words and it has also helped her memory.”
And what would be their advice for other parents who may think reading should wait until their child starts school? “No! Books are for children of all ages.”
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021
- Copenhagen Food Bank thank their generous local donors 21 December 2020
- Elthorne Pride’s Quilt of Hope 15 December 2020
- Better places for everyone: why making streets people-friendly will boost our health 3 December 2020