Youngest reading champ
Three year-old Alannah is proof that you are never too young to get into reading. She was the youngest of 325 children who completed the Winter Reading Challenge set up by Islington libraries.
Youngsters had to read six books over the winter as part of the challenge. Alannah recently collected her certificate at a special event along with other children who completed at the Archway Library.
Alannah’s parents believe the Challenge has increased her enjoyment of reading and had other benefits. Her mum said: “Her vocab has expanded. She’s picked up lots of long words and it has also helped her memory.”
And what would be their advice for other parents who may think reading should wait until their child starts school? “No! Books are for children of all ages.”
- Winter support for neighbours over 65 12 December 2019
- Top tips for staying well this winter 12 December 2019
- Ten tips for a waste free Christmas 9 December 2019
- Interview with Police Inspector Thomas Ashley 6 December 2019
- Spread some cheer this Christmas 5 December 2019
- Our top traders 4 December 2019