Youngest reading champ
Three year-old Alannah is proof that you are never too young to get into reading. She was the youngest of 325 children who completed the Winter Reading Challenge set up by Islington libraries.
Youngsters had to read six books over the winter as part of the challenge. Alannah recently collected her certificate at a special event along with other children who completed at the Archway Library.
Alannah’s parents believe the Challenge has increased her enjoyment of reading and had other benefits. Her mum said: “Her vocab has expanded. She’s picked up lots of long words and it has also helped her memory.”
And what would be their advice for other parents who may think reading should wait until their child starts school? “No! Books are for children of all ages.”
- A Windrush story: Neville and Daphne 20 June 2020
- Islington Giving – if you can, please support this crisis fund for local people 17 June 2020
- Windrush Day 2020 17 June 2020
- Blooming brilliant competition returns online 15 June 2020
- Biography of a carer: Barney 12 June 2020
- Make your own face covering 10 June 2020