Youngest reading champ
Three year-old Alannah is proof that you are never too young to get into reading. She was the youngest of 325 children who completed the Winter Reading Challenge set up by Islington libraries.
Youngsters had to read six books over the winter as part of the challenge. Alannah recently collected her certificate at a special event along with other children who completed at the Archway Library.
Alannah’s parents believe the Challenge has increased her enjoyment of reading and had other benefits. Her mum said: “Her vocab has expanded. She’s picked up lots of long words and it has also helped her memory.”
And what would be their advice for other parents who may think reading should wait until their child starts school? “No! Books are for children of all ages.”
- Reasons to shop local 🛍️ 22 October 2020
- Shop local in Holloway 🛍️ 22 October 2020
- Islington GP practices vaccinate thousands of residents to protect them from the flu 20 October 2020
- Your community, your neighbours, #YouRIslington 19 October 2020
- How Kelly found new work in the care sector 15 October 2020
- Shop Local in Finsbury Park 14 October 2020