Caxton House Community Centre – Helping the community… and the environment
N19 has a long tradition of providing help to those in need and Caxton House Community Centre, which has been on its current site since the 1970s, is very much part of that tradition.
Nowadays, the centre offers a range of services including advice sessions and events for families. It also plays host to a number of community groups, including Scarabeus Aerial Theatre and London Capital Credit Union.
Each week, Caxton House hosts a wide range of health, fitness and social activities, with regular yoga, tai chi, cricket, short mat bowls, archery and ballroom dancing sessions. For more details of what’s on offer, visit the Caxton House listings page.
Recently, as part of its commitment to reducing its carbon footprint, Caxton House underwent a number of improvements, including installation of more than 40 new triple-glazed windows, skylights and a new door, in line with the centre’s plans to become more energy efficient. The new windows will also help keep the centre warm for staff and users, as well as reducing noise pollution.
The improvements were in part funded by the council’s Borough Improvement Programme, which brings new and old together by using contributions from new developments to pay for improvements to existing community properties and amenities. Councillors from Hillrise ward recently visited the centre to see how work had progressed.
To find out more about similar current or upcoming projects in your area, visit the council’s Community Plans webpage.
- We Are Cally
- Shop local Islington: Nag’s Head and Holloway
- Shop local Islington: Finsbury Park
- Shop local Islington: Clerkenwell
- Shop local Islington: Angel
- Shop local Islington: Archway
- Shop local Islington: Newington Green and Essex Road
- Shop local Islington: Caledonian Road
- Shop local Islington: Old Street
- Shop local Islington: Highbury
- Caxton House Community Centre – Helping the community… and the environment