Celebrating 200 years of The Regent’s Canal
Exhibitions at London Canal Museum.
Please check first if the Museum is open
Until 3 May – Industrial Islington
Social history meets industry in this exhibition from social historian Carolyn Clark and her team who have explored the lives and work of those who worked on the waterway in Islington.
From 4 May – Regent’s Canal 200
The museum’s major exhibition for Regent’s 200 will feature a unique detailed plan of the canal in 1850, recently discovered, with added material from our research team.
Islington Canal History at Islington Museum – July 27 to October 24. Free.
March 18, 7.30pm – Nature Unwrapped
Talk by London Wildlife Trust at London Canal Museum in partnership with King’s Place.
Tickets cost £12.50. Book your ticket
March 27, 7.30pm – Regent’s Canal 200
Quiz Night at London Canal Museum.
Tickets cost £6. Book your ticket
April 26, 12-4pm – Islington Boat Club 50th anniversary party and 2020 celebration. Free!
May 16: Family day at London Canal Museum.
Explore the building of the Regent’s Canal through a range of table top activities. How can you make a bridge nice and strong? Is it easy to dig a tunnel? Come and find out!
Normal admission charges apply.
Short boat trips available to book on the day at a small additional cost.
June 11, 6.30pm – Talk by Carolyn Clark
People’s History of the East End Canal, Friends of Hackney Archives and Hackney Society. Held at Hackney Archives. Free
June 27, doors open at 6pm – Regency Soiree at London Canal Museum 1930
Regency-style entertainment with music and dance demonstrations.
Tickets cost £20 (concessions £18). Book your ticket
July 5, 12-5pm: Laburnum Boat Club open day, heritage event and barbeque. Entry free.
July 26, 6.30pm: Performance at Islington Young Actors Theatre
The Islington Canal Tales. Ticket prices to be announced.
August 1: Plans are still being made for this important day, the anniversary of the opening of the canal on 1st August 1820. There will be an East End Canal Festival in Mile End Park, and look out for news of an evening celebration and a parade of boats, subject to confirmation.
Look out for details of London Canal Museum’s photography competition. Photos of the canal in 2020 will form a permanent record of the waterway and there will be a cash prize for the best. Check the London Canal Museum website for details.
London Canal Museum 12-13 New Wharf Road, London N1 9RT
Tel: 020 7713 0836
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Eclectic Voices: A Unique Choral Experience
- Islington women’s football
- Get your free blood pressure check
- Fitness classes for women
- Celebrating 200 years of The Regent’s Canal
- Islington Expert Patients Programme
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Walk the Line
- The Angel Canal Festival
- Tales from the Crypt guided walks
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free programme in Talking for Wellbeing