City Nature Challenge needs you!
From Friday 26th April to Monday 29th April, people in over 160 cities around the world are going into their parks and green spaces to spot and record wildlife to see which city has the most nature and the most nature-loving citizens.
City Nature Challenge started in 2016 as a competition between San Francisco and Los Angeles, as a fun way to hold a citizen science event around urban biodiversity. By getting lots of people involved in recording nature sightings, conservationists can collect vital data on urban nature. The Challenge became an international event in 2018, and London took part for the first time with a huge event at Hyde Park organized by the Natural History Museum and the Royal Parks.
Pictures of wildlife are taken with smartphones using the free iNaturalist App which can also be downloaded to computers. This collects the data for every city.
This year, the event is even bigger with cities on 7 continents taking part. You can help London win! Find out more about the various events happening and how to get involved here.
Islington has our own City Nature Challenge event at Gillespie Park. It’s free, it’s fun, it’s for families, adults, young people, everyone! And it will help us record all the amazing wildlife in our largest nature reserve.
City Nature Challenge: Newts and Nettles – the Great Gillespie Investigation
Join us at Gillespie Park to find out what’s living in our pond, and how many plants we can spot in our meadow and woodland. Bring your phone – we’ll use the free iNaturalist App to record our finds. You can *free* book tickets here.
When: Sunday 28th April 2pm-4pm
Where: Islington Ecology Centre and Gillespie Park, 191 Drayton Park N5 1PH
For more information: email@example.com 020 7527 4374
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Healthy Generations classes
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Saturday Stitching Surgery
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- DIY for tenants
- Flag football for girls
- Saturday Night Project
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Dads and Kids Cook and Eat Sundays
- Chair Yoga classes
- Composting workshop
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Coffee and computers
- Mapping Islington
- Lunch Bunch is back for Easter
- Free Easter pond-dipping
- Inspiring Islington
- Elthorne Pride’s Health and Wellbeing Day
- Nurturing your newborn’s needs
- Library Easter events
- Easter events at Islington Museum
- Free pot a plant event
- Free art classes at Hargrave Hall
- Free pottery classes
- Unrestricted View Film Festival 2019
- Journey to Justice Islington
- Family fun day at the Arsenal hub
- Free art classes
- City Nature Challenge needs you!