Explore Islington’s rich history with an official guide
Saturday 21 May, 11am
On Saturday 21st May at 11am, join Lesley for a lovely circular ‘watery walk’ around the Angel and down the slope towards Clerkenwell, passing through pretty Georgian squares and terraces. You’ll hear about natural springs and wells that became pleasure gardens, the Walbrook and the Fleet rivers, plus two astonishing man made watercourses from the 1600s and 1800s.
Crime and punishment walk
Wednesday 8 June, 2pm
Come along to Clerkenwell Wednesday 8 June at 2pm and explore the long history of the area: centuries of monasteries, vengeance, courthouses, prisons, murder, social reformers, a bomb plot and more.
Monastic heritage walk
Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays
On this 90-minute walk, you’ll learn about a hospital that has provided healthcare on the same site for almost 900 years; London’s oldest parish church; a monastery that became a Tudor mansion; a priory with links to Jerusalem, which gave its name to St John Ambulance 800 years later; and a nunnery which inspired the design of one of Clerkenwell’s newest buildings.
The walk will finish at the Clerk’s Well – the site where parish clerks used to perform mystery plays in medieval times and which gave the area its name.
Full details can be found on the Islington Guides website.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Islington Walking Tours
- Volunteering in Islington
- Active Spaces free fitness classes
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Islington4Women walks
- The Reading Adventure
- Retrain, reskill, reboot
- Celebrating Black history and culture
- Four accessible activities in Islington parks
- Women’s football
- Community gardening in Cally Park
- Five things to do in parks
- Guided walks
- Skills for Islington, skills for life
- Reggaerobics with Chrystle
- Platinum Jubilee celebrations
- Islington Borough Ladies FC football sessions
- Islington in Bloom
- Islington walking and running routes
- A walk in the park
- Meals For All
- Join the Cally Festival
- Reimagining the Packington Estate
- Clerkenwell Design Week
- Half term Jubilee fun
- Islington celebrates the Queen
- Free summer swimming
- What can we do together to tackle inequality?