With more of us turning to gardening it’s a great time to start home composting. It’s easy to do and produces a nutrient rich compost that will encourage a healthy crop of vegetables or beautiful flowers.
Not only is it environmentally friendly but you will really help reduce your waste and the pressure on our stretched collection services during these unprecedented times.
Islington residents can get subsidised compost bins and wormeries from Getcomposting: https://getcomposting.com/profile/login
However there are lots of guides on the internet which show how to build your own compost bins: https://www.diyncrafts.com/33618/home/gardening/35-cheap-easy-diy-compost-bins-can-build-weekend (If you use old pallets check that they are heat treated only and have not been chemically treated which would unsafe for gardening).
Here is an easy step by step guide about how to set up and use a compost bin and where and how to use the compost. https://www.recyclenow.com/reduce-waste/composting/guide
Jean, a recycling officer and Islington resident, gave this tip: “Remember to have a balance of greens and browns in your compost bin.”
Too dry and not breaking down? Add more greens.
To wet and mushy? Add more browns.
Greens are: grass clippings, uncooked fruit and veg peelings, garden pruning’s, spent bedding plants.
Browns are: scrunched up paper, egg boxes, loo roll tubes, fallen leaves, cardboard, straw, small twigs.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Eclectic Voices: A Unique Choral Experience
- Islington women’s football
- Get your free blood pressure check
- Fitness classes for women
- Celebrating 200 years of The Regent’s Canal
- Islington Expert Patients Programme
- DIY training for council tenants
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Make a mandala in vegetables
- Commemorate IDAHOBIT
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Join in with Empathy Day
- Get composting
- No Barriers at Home
- Get silly with the Summer Reading Challenge
- Carers Week activities