Islington’s Dementia Café
A new cafe has opened at St Andrew’s Church, in Thornhill Square, for people with dementia and their families.
Because of the current COVID-19 threat, the cafe is currently a virtual one that you can visit via its Facebook page. But once back up and running, it will be held on the third Saturday of the month from 10am-1pm.
The cafe was set up by Islington resident Jeanne who cares for a family member living with dementia.
“I was inspired to create this dementia inclusive cafe by my mother-in-law, who I care for and who is living with dementia,” says Jeanne. “She loves it there and to see the smiles and the light in her eyes is the most precious thing anyone can ask for.
“I want to share this experience with other families affected by dementia or any other special needs. St An’s cafe is open to all to reminisce and create new memories.”
A dementia friendly community
Islington Council and the Alzheimer’s Society are working towards making the borough ‘Dementia Friendly’.
There are currently 1,451 people in Islington living with dementia and many feel trapped in their own homes, with one in three only getting out once a week and one in 10 managing this only once a month.
This is why initiatives like St An’s cafe are so important.
Find out how you can get involved in making Islington Dementia Friendly, or volunteering at or attending the cafe email Katie Patrick on email@example.com
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- Interested in cooking, planting, crafts?
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Unlocking Potential in Children and Young People