Islington’s Dementia Café
A new cafe has opened at St Andrew’s Church, in Thornhill Square, for people with dementia and their families.
Because of the current COVID-19 threat, the cafe is currently a virtual one that you can visit via its Facebook page. But once back up and running, it will be held on the third Saturday of the month from 10am-1pm.
The cafe was set up by Islington resident Jeanne who cares for a family member living with dementia.
“I was inspired to create this dementia inclusive cafe by my mother-in-law, who I care for and who is living with dementia,” says Jeanne. “She loves it there and to see the smiles and the light in her eyes is the most precious thing anyone can ask for.
“I want to share this experience with other families affected by dementia or any other special needs. St An’s cafe is open to all to reminisce and create new memories.”
A dementia friendly community
Islington Council and the Alzheimer’s Society are working towards making the borough ‘Dementia Friendly’.
There are currently 1,451 people in Islington living with dementia and many feel trapped in their own homes, with one in three only getting out once a week and one in 10 managing this only once a month.
This is why initiatives like St An’s cafe are so important.
Find out how you can get involved in making Islington Dementia Friendly, or volunteering at or attending the cafe email Katie Patrick on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Islington Walking Tours
- Volunteering in Islington
- Active Spaces free fitness classes
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Islington4Women walks
- The Reading Adventure
- Retrain, reskill, reboot
- Celebrating Black history and culture
- Four accessible activities in Islington parks
- Women’s football
- Community gardening in Cally Park
- Five things to do in parks
- Guided walks
- Skills for Islington, skills for life
- Reggaerobics with Chrystle
- Platinum Jubilee celebrations
- Islington Borough Ladies FC football sessions
- Islington in Bloom
- Islington walking and running routes
- A walk in the park
- Meals For All
- Join the Cally Festival
- Reimagining the Packington Estate
- Clerkenwell Design Week
- Half term Jubilee fun
- Islington celebrates the Queen
- Free summer swimming