Festival of Walks 19-27 June 2021
Islington Guides are running a Festival of Walks in Islington between Saturday 19 and Sunday 27 June. You can find details on Islington’s Guided Walks website.
The Festival’s highlights will be two weekend walks:
The Monastic Quarter
This walk will explore what attracted religious institutions to the area outside the City of London, the influence of Henry VIII and how Clerkenwell got its name. And there are connections with knights travelling to foreign lands and lawlessness and peasants’ revolts.
This walk will explore some of the features of the village along Upper Street, which connect with Islington’s rural and agricultural past. You’ll see some of the area’s rich history of entertainment and religion. You’ll hear about maypoles, dairy maids, drovers and cream teas. Islington was a place to escape to: a contrast to the urban borough we know today.
There will be many other themed walks during the Festival of Walks, including the Spa Field Riots, Black Islington, Sadlers Wells, Radical Islington, Comedy in Islington and an exploration of the Hackney/Islington Border.
Walks will either be 1.5 hours or 45 mins including some at lunchtime, with reduced pricing of £5 or £6.
Walks will follow current Government guidance on social distancing and mitigation against COVID.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- Interested in cooking, planting, crafts?
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Unlocking Potential in Children and Young People
- In conversation with a young entrepreneur
- Celebrating Black history and culture 365 days a year
- Celebrate Windrush Day 2021
- Islington4Women walks
- Speech, Language and Communication Needs webinar for parents
- Festival of Walks 19-27 June 2021
- The Cally Festival presents Cultivating Cally on 27 June
- This July at Cally Park
- Digital training sessions for parents
- Commemorations of the WW2 V2 rocket attack of Sunday, 5 November 1944