Canonbury Tower tours
The first building on the site was erected by Prior Bolton of St Bartholomew’s Priory as a summer retreat from the sights and smells of Smithfield and was later owned by Thomas Cromwell of “Wolf Hall” fame. Most of the building you see during the tour was built in the 1570s, when it was owned by the very wealthy Lord Mayor of London, Sir John Spencer.
The tour by Clerkenwell & Islington Guides’ Association (CIGA) offers a rare opportunity to see inside a Tudor dwelling complete with wonderful oak panelling and to hear fascinating stories about the inhabitants of the Tower through the centuries – including a dramatic elopement in a bread basket and the playwright and novelist Oliver Goldsmith’s battle with his landlady.
Tours last about 90 minutes and the climb to the top of the tower is rewarded with a stunning 360 degree view over London.
Where: Canonbury Tower, Canonbury Place, N1 2NQ (opposite the junction with Compton Road). Nearest Tube Station: Highbury & Islington. Also close to Essex Road and Canonbury stations.
Access to the tower is strictly limited so book early to avoid disappointment
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Healthy Generations classes
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Saturday Stitching Surgery
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- DIY for tenants
- Flag football for girls
- Saturday Night Project
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Dads and Kids Cook and Eat Sundays
- Chair Yoga classes
- Composting workshop
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Coffee and computers
- Nurturing your newborn’s needs
- Free pottery classes
- Free art classes
- Join us on a Tree Walk!
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Go Islington 2019
- Night Sky: The Cultural Connection
- Celebrate Islington community festival
- LGBT History of Holloway
- The Moon Adventure
- London’s National Park City Festival events
- Summer holiday fun in Islington
- Flying Families
- Islington Music Camp
- Summer Events in Islington Libraries
- Islington Museum and Cally Clock Tower events
- Adult learning open day
- Let’s stamp it out
- Happening in Archway!