Canonbury Tower tours
The first building on the site was erected by Prior Bolton of St Bartholomew’s Priory as a summer retreat from the sights and smells of Smithfield and was later owned by Thomas Cromwell of “Wolf Hall” fame. Most of the building you see during the tour was built in the 1570s, when it was owned by the very wealthy Lord Mayor of London, Sir John Spencer.
The tour by Clerkenwell & Islington Guides’ Association (CIGA) offers a rare opportunity to see inside a Tudor dwelling complete with wonderful oak panelling and to hear fascinating stories about the inhabitants of the Tower through the centuries – including a dramatic elopement in a bread basket and the playwright and novelist Oliver Goldsmith’s battle with his landlady.
Tours last about 90 minutes and the climb to the top of the tower is rewarded with a stunning 360 degree view over London.
Where: Canonbury Tower, Canonbury Place, N1 2NQ (opposite the junction with Compton Road). Nearest Tube Station: Highbury & Islington. Also close to Essex Road and Canonbury stations.
Access to the tower is strictly limited so book early to avoid disappointment
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- Interested in cooking, planting, crafts?
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Unlocking Potential in Children and Young People