This July at Cally Park
There’s an action-packed start to the summer at Cally Park this July with lots of free events. We’ve restarted our park tours, where you’ll discover hidden clues to the history of the local area, the cattle market that once stood on this site, as well as stories of recreation and radicalism. The clock tower remains closed to visitors due to covid restrictions, however, you still visit it from home in our virtual tour.
Health & Nature – a gentle walk through the woodland in Cally Park
1 July, 10-11.30am
Everything is connected: how time in nature changes our brains and bodies. Enjoy a gentle stroll around Cally Park with Viv Rowdon from The Garden Classroom. Time in nature, particularly among trees, is increasingly regarded as vital for holistic wellbeing; how we feel, how we think, how we relate to others. Experience the value of being among trees through simple physical and meditative practices, balance your nervous system and learn to notice the details.
Under 5s Songtime – We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
5 July, 10am
Explore Caledonian Park in an outdoor adventure based on Michael Rosen’s famous book ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’. Swish your way through the tall grass, swim in an imaginary river and sing and play together in this fun and interactive session. You and your child will be invited to participate in an immersive music and storytelling experience which will help develop your child’s communication and language, physical, social and emotional development through music, play and imagination. Our Music Time events are led by our fantastic musician and storyteller, Paul.
Health & History – a dementia-friendly walk around Cally Park
8 July, 10-11.30am
Walking is great for both our mental and physical health. Additionally, time spent in nature has been proven to boost our health. Join us for a gentle walk around Cally Park park with Islington Guide, Susan. This walk especially welcomes those living with dementia and their carers, though anyone is welcome to join (however, please bear in mind that this tour has been developed for people with dementia and may be slower-paced than our regular tours). We will walk and talk for about an hour and then there will be a chance to play skittles and sit down and buy a cuppa from the park café at the end of the walk.
Community Gardening in Cally Park
9 July, 11am-1pm
Join us for a gardening session at Cally Park. Everyone is welcome! Community Gardeners play a vital role in making Cally Park a great destination for the local community to enjoy. They assist the parks’ team with basic gardening and maintenance tasks. Together we keep Cally Park looking great and a space for everyone to enjoy.
Basic gardening including weeding, pruning, building log piles and planting
Keeping the park tidy and collecting litter
Reporting park issues to the Cally Clock Tower team e.g. broken equipment, park security, vandalism or cleaning
A (Virtual) Walk down the Caledonian Road
27 July, 7-8pm
We will walk the Cally – as locals insist on calling the road – and see its development before, during and after the Caledonian Asylum. We will trace the road’s history from green fields to busy urban landscape with inhabitants from further afield than Scotland. The Asylum gave its name to the road and many other nearby developments. Although it has been gone for a century we will trace the long shadow of the Asylum right to the present day.
Outdoor Elders Exercise
Every Thursday, 1.30-2.30pm
Holloway Neighbourhood Group is running a weekly Elders Exercise class in Cally Park. Email the team for more information and to register your place.
Please do visit the Tolpuddle Café if you fancy a cuppa before or after your class.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- Interested in cooking, planting, crafts?
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Unlocking Potential in Children and Young People
- In conversation with a young entrepreneur
- Celebrating Black history and culture 365 days a year
- Celebrate Windrush Day 2021
- Islington4Women walks
- Speech, Language and Communication Needs webinar for parents
- Festival of Walks 19-27 June 2021
- The Cally Festival presents Cultivating Cally on 27 June
- This July at Cally Park
- Digital training sessions for parents
- Commemorations of the WW2 V2 rocket attack of Sunday, 5 November 1944