Women’s Institutes in Islington
The Women’s Institute (WI) is the largest women’s voluntary membership organisation in the country, with almost 220,000 members in over 6,300 groups. Formed in 1915 to revitalise rural communities, today the organisation is much trendier, organising burlesque nights and talking about bee keeping, as well alongside more traditional handicrafts and baking. Islington has a number of active and vibrant WIs, so if you want to meet new people and try something new get in touch!
Please note meetings have been suspended until further notice.
Meets on the last Tuesday of the month from 7pm to 9pm at St. James’ Hall on the corner of Prebend Street and Packington Street – map here
For members, a book group is held on the second Tuesday of the month, craft and baking group on the first Wednesday, and there are lots of other things going on (culture club, meals out, and a walking group).
Gothic Valley WI
Based in Holloway, this WI meets at St Luke’s church in Hillmarton Road, N7 9RE on the third Wednesday of every month, except for August when they are having our picnic on Hampstead Heath.
Most months they have a talk or educational event but they also do occasional cultural, entertaining and educational trips on different days. They also have a craft club, Crafty Goth, that meets monthly. You can find out more on their website.
Stoke Newington WI
Meets once a month at various locations: currently in Newington Green at The Cellars from 7pm to 9pm usually on the second Monday of each month.
If you want to find out more please email Bridget Chetwynd, President on firstname.lastname@example.org
Stroud Green WI
Stroud Green WI is a local group of women who enjoy crafts and supporting our local communities in the N4 & N15 postcodes.
At their fun monthly meetings they have a wide range of talks and activities which have included local walks, dancing, infused gin, paper collage, a James Bond talk and quizzes along with outings to the theatre and zoo to mention a few.
All women are welcome to visit our meetings at Stroud Green Primary School, Perth Road, Finsbury Park, N4 3HB. Meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of every month, there is a small charge of £5 for visitors.
Please visit our website www.stroudgreenwi.co.uk for more information and our contact details.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Islington Mayor’s Charity Quiz
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Holocaust Memorial Day
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- LGBT History Month 2021