FC Designer Collective is open
Islington Council and Fashion-Enter, a local fashion co-operative, have launched an innovative, ethical fashion store in Finsbury Park.
The FC Designer Collective store provides local designers with a high street outlet to sell their work. In lieu of rent, it also provides business mentoring and training in tailoring and needlework to local creatives and community groups, to help kick-start their careers in the garment industry. Other fashion businesses in the Fonthill Road area are also set to benefit from the alterations service offered in the new store.
FC Designer Collective brands include:
• Another Earthling – needle-felted animal and bird masks
• Buttress and Snatch – Ethical and sustainable lingerie
• Craftiela – handmade, natural and organic bath products
• Diva Choice – Statement jewellery and accessories
• Hashtag Made IV Me – bespoke and handmade ladieswear with a cultural infusion
• Mr Noticed – Luxury menswear
• Jannaty – Modesty wear and accessories
• Sarah Hill – Greeting cards
• The Sundown Society – Ethical sleepwear
Mary Obaseki - Another Earthling
Mary Obaseki from Another Earthling: “I live on the Andover Estate and love shopping on Fonthill Road; walking past and seeing my work there is such a great feeling. As a one-woman small business, you take on every aspect and have to learn as you go; that can be overwhelming and quite isolating, so it’s a massive blessing to be included in this project. From my products being in a local bricks-and-mortar shop and the mentoring, to just being part of something creative with other like-minded local women, is amazing.”
Working closely with the local community is at the heart of the endeavour. Over the past 12 months, a local women’s sewing group has worked with Fashion-Enter to make sure the project meets the needs of local people. During the Covid-19 crisis, the group has been producing high-quality face coverings, with material provided by Fashion-Enter, and distributing these to local people in need. Find out more here.
The FC Designer Collective store is at 113-115 Fonthill Road, N4 3HH. Opening hours are: 10am-5pm, Tuesday – Saturday.
If you are interested in learning to sew, contact Simon Fuller from Islington’s Adult Community Learning Service for details of free classes, on 07892 700 217 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ready, steady, census 26 January 2021
- Designing the New Youth Employment Hub for West Library together 26 January 2021
- Shop Local in Archway 22 January 2021
- Islington Volunteer of the Year 2020 19 January 2021
- Nominate someone for a Mayor’s Civic Award 8 January 2021
- Adult learning can turn your life around 5 January 2021