Shop local Islington: Clerkenwell
Clerkenwell is a trendy area known for modern design, quirky shops, high-end restaurants and one-off cafes. While lunchtimes are very popular at Exmouth Market with its 20 different street food stalls, night times for 800 years have come alive in the historic Smithfield Market, the largest wholesale meat market in the UK, soon to be home of the Museum of London. As producers sell through the night, they are surrounded by bustling night life and some of the city’s most iconic venues.
The ancient medieval parish of Clerkenwell is now host to some of London’s best contemporary dining haunts and shops. Islington Council has teamed up with myvirtualneighbourhood.com to launch Shop Local Islington, an online directory to help residents find independent shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, markets and service providers in the borough. Whether through your phone or in one of our Covid-19 safe spots, come explore the best this historical gem has to offer.
For other great resources on the area, please check out below:
Follow the LGBTQ+ social history of the Clerkenwell, Farringdon, and other Islington areas through the local Heritage Trail.
Read about the longer history of Clerkenwell
See Conde Nast’s local’s guide to Clerkenwell
Check out the exciting social enterprise projects in the area through Better Space
Read more about Clerkenwell…
- We Are Cally
- Shop local Islington: Nag’s Head and Holloway
- Shop local Islington: Finsbury Park
- Shop local Islington: Clerkenwell
- Shop local Islington: Angel
- Shop local Islington: Archway
- Shop local Islington: Newington Green and Essex Road
- Shop local Islington: Caledonian Road
- Shop local Islington: Old Street
- Shop local Islington: Highbury
- Caxton House Community Centre – Helping the community… and the environment
- Islington’s Markets