London Canal Museum
London’s canals have a fascinating past and you can learn all about them at the London Canal Museum. This unique waterways museum is housed in a former ice warehouse built about 1862 for Carlo Gatti, a well-known ice cream maker of the time, and features the history of the ice trade and ice cream as well as the canals.
See inside a narrowboat cabin, find out about the cargoes carried, the people who lived and worked on the waterways, and the horses that pulled their boats. You can also peer down into the unique heritage of a huge Victorian ice well used to store ice imported from Norway and brought by ship and canal boat to be stored.
Carlo Gatti Celebrations: Celebrate the life and times of Carlo Gatti (1817- 1878) and the contribution he and his family made to London’s life.
Saturday, 27 July 2019 (Carlo Gatti’s Birthday)
Morning: Carlo Gatti Birthday Cake competition. Enjoy an ice cream celebration!
Afternoon: Enjoy afternoon tea with current Gatti family members.
Evening: Victorian Music Hall. An evening of music hall entertainment reminiscent of the Victorian era.
Sunday 28 July 2019
Visit London’s only Ice Wells with visitor access and enjoy a canal boat trip through the Islington Tunnel.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Flag football for girls
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Get Islington’s culture and community online
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Free, fun family online story and rhyme times
- Rethink Mental Health training
- Free in-person training on basic IT skills
- Interested in cooking, planting, crafts?
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Unlocking Potential in Children and Young People
- In conversation with a young entrepreneur
- Celebrating Black history and culture 365 days a year
- Celebrate Windrush Day 2021
- Islington4Women walks
- Speech, Language and Communication Needs webinar for parents
- Festival of Walks 19-27 June 2021