London Canal Museum
London’s canals have a fascinating past and you can learn all about them at the London Canal Museum. This unique waterways museum is housed in a former ice warehouse built about 1862 for Carlo Gatti, a well-known ice cream maker of the time, and features the history of the ice trade and ice cream as well as the canals.
See inside a narrowboat cabin, find out about the cargoes carried, the people who lived and worked on the waterways, and the horses that pulled their boats. You can also peer down into the unique heritage of a huge Victorian ice well used to store ice imported from Norway and brought by ship and canal boat to be stored.
Carlo Gatti Celebrations: Celebrate the life and times of Carlo Gatti (1817- 1878) and the contribution he and his family made to London’s life.
Saturday, 27 July 2019 (Carlo Gatti’s Birthday)
Morning: Carlo Gatti Birthday Cake competition. Enjoy an ice cream celebration!
Afternoon: Enjoy afternoon tea with current Gatti family members.
Evening: Victorian Music Hall. An evening of music hall entertainment reminiscent of the Victorian era.
Sunday 28 July 2019
Visit London’s only Ice Wells with visitor access and enjoy a canal boat trip through the Islington Tunnel.
- Arts and Entertainment
- Sports & leisure
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Healthy Generations classes
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Women’s Institutes in Islington
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Saturday Stitching Surgery
- The Singing Well Community Choir
- Volunteer in Islington parks
- DIY for tenants
- Flag football for girls
- Saturday Night Project
- Want to play netball?
- Islington Upperdeckers
- Aikido classes
- Dads and Kids Cook and Eat Sundays
- Chair Yoga classes
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- London Canal Museum
- Coffee and computers
- Join us on a Tree Walk!
- Sing a song with Sonic Crew!
- Islington Museum and Cally Clock Tower events
- Happening in Archway!
- Ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay: Music Hall in Islington
- Car Free Day in Islington
- Adult and Community Learning courses
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Creative employment course
- Eclectic Voices: A Unique Choral Experience