Volunteering in Islington
One of the things that makes Islington unique is our vibrant voluntary sector, which is supported by a hidden army of volunteers. There are lots of opportunities to get involved and give something back to the community – from befriending to mentoring and community gardening, there is something for everyone.
Voluntary Action Islington supports charities and community organisations across the borough and also helps residents find volunteering opportunities that suit them. Read our interview with acting chief executive Philip Boye-Anawomah.
Voluntary Action Islington has launched a new online volunteering portal called VC Connect. You can register on VC Connect to browse volunteer opportunities in the borough and apply online.
Mencap is the leading voice of learning disability. Everything it does is about valuing and supporting people with a learning disability, and their families and carers. Its volunteer roles come in all shapes and sizes. There are lots of ways you could get involved, including, supporting people to do something they love, eg going to the gym, cooking or dancing, helping at their job clubs and leisure groups, stewarding at events, fundraising and lending professional skills at its busy head office in Old Street. Search its local volunteering opportunities here.
The Parent House supports offers guidance through training courses, ongoing one-to-one support and work placements to parents. Read about its Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service here.
The Islington Bereavement Service needs volunteers to befriend bereaved people. You don’t need any previous experience, just good communication and listening skills, empathy and flexibility. To find out more, visit their website here.
Chance UK, a children’s charity based in the borough, is looking for more volunteer mentors for its well evidenced early intervention mentoring programme that improves children’s behaviour. Read more here.
Islington Grandmentors is a volunteer mentoring programme which trains and supervises volunteers who are over the age of 50 to provide support, guidance and advice to young people leaving the care system. They are always looking for new volunteers, so if this sounds like something you might be interested in email or call 020 7527 7837 or 07889 556730. More information is available here.
- Islington Assembly Hall
- Markets in Islington
- Sport for people with a disability
- Canonbury Tower tours
- Wildcats girls’ football
- Islington Walking Tours
- Volunteering at Caledonian Park Clock Tower
- Borrow real art for free
- Volunteering in Islington
- Volunteer in Compton Terrace Gardens
- Playground equipment for disabled children
- Islington women’s football
- Get fit and active with Active Spaces
- Islington’s Dementia Café
- Online exercise and digital skills classes for older people
- Get composting
- Free digital and computing skills training
- Islington enrichment home learning
- How to draw trees and the stories behind them
- Getting into work workshop
- Celebrating Black history and culture 365 days a year
- Islington4Women walks
- Free business training for Islington tech founders
- Have your say on safety in Islington
- Back to Better Week
- Boost your skills and launch a career in Digital Marketing
- Your invite to take part in a Let’s Get Back Together event: 4 – 8 October
- Hospitality Jobs Fair